White Plains Gun & Weapon Crime Attorney
Westchester County Gun Laws
The two most common types of gun crimes in New York are:
- Possession of an unlicensed firearm - Mere possession of an unlicensed loaded firearm outside your home or place of business is a felony and carries a maximum sentence of three and half years if convicted. If you possess an unlicensed loaded firearm in your home or place of business it is a misdemeanor and carries a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail.
- Possession of an assault weapon - If you possess an assault weapon anywhere, regardless if it is loaded or not, it’s a felony.
If you are charged with criminal possession of a weapon in Westchester County, Bronx County, Rockland County, Orange County, Putnam County and Dutchess County your options are limited. You either accept responsibility, earn a criminal record and possibly go to jail, or you retain a skilled, aggressive and experienced Westchester County criminal defense lawyer who will vigorously protect your rights every step of the way.
New York Weapon Possession Charges
Whether you are charged with a misdemeanor for criminally possessing a switchblade knife or a gravity knife, or you are charged with a felony for criminally possessing a loaded gun, pistol, revolver, or another firearm outside your home or place of business without a permit, criminal possession of a weapon is a very serious criminal charge in New York.
Criminal Possession of a Weapon (Including Guns)
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Fourth Degree (NY PL 265.01).
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third Degree (NY PL 265.02)
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree (NY PL 265.03)
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the First Degree (NY PL 265.04)
Contact a Westchester County Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you or someone you know has been charged with criminal possession of a weapon in Westchester County, Rockland County, Putnam County, Dutchess County, Orange County or Bronx County, it is absolutely vital that you seek legal representation right away. The lawyers at Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP provide highly-skilled and aggressive criminal defense representation and will assist you right away in aggressively defending your charges of criminal possession of a weapon.
Contact us online or by telephone at (914) 840-5104 to speak with an aggressive and experienced criminal defense lawyer.