Larceny & Theft Lawyers in Westchester County
Thorough Defense of Your Rights & Freedom
Larceny (theft) is a very serious charge that can have a long-lasting impact on your life. Employers or potential employers treat larceny differently than any other crime, therefore, a larceny charge must be aggressively defended. As skilled defense attorneys, our lawyers are experienced and prepared to aggressively protect your rights. Not only can we provide advice regarding the criminal aspect larceny but also regarding the all-too-common civil suit that stems from an arrest.
At Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP, our attorneys are former Assistant District Attorneys in Westchester County and Manhattan and have significant experience formally prosecuting and now defending larceny cases. It is extremely important to hire a criminal defense attorney early. Our lawyers are available for a free consultation and always provide an honest and straightforward assessment of your case.
Our lawyers are compassionate to your needs and will examine all the evidence against you to provide you with a personalized individual defense. We are regularly available during the case to keep you informed and guide you through this difficult process.
If you or a loved one has been arrested for larceny, call our office today at (914) 840-5104 and speak with our Westchester County larceny and theft crime attorneys about your case. For your convenience, we have locations in White Plains and Peekskill.
Grand Larceny & Petit Larceny Charges
Larceny falls under Article 155 of the New York State Penal Law and is broken down into several areas. Under PL 155.05 larceny is defined as:
"A person steals property and commits larceny when, with intent to deprive another of property or to appropriate the same to himself or to a third person, he wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds such property from an owner thereof".
Larceny can include larceny by trick, embezzlement, false pretenses, issuing a bad check, false promise, extortion, or even larceny over lost property. The prosecution will use one theory or several to convict a person under the larceny statute.
Types of Larceny in New York
In determining the proper charge this will directly relate to the amount of money or value of property stolen and/or the method of theft.
The following are the different types of larceny:
- Petit Larceny: "A person is guilty of petit larceny when he steals property". This is a class "A" misdemeanor. Petit larceny usually encompasses shoplifting types of crimes.
- Grand Larceny in the Fourth Degree: Value of property over $1,000.00 or the property is a credit card, debit card, public record, secret scientific material, obtained by extortion, etc. Grand larceny in the fourth degree is an "E" felony.
- Grand Larceny in the Third Degree: Value of property over $3,0000.00 or involves the theft of an ATM or its contents. Grand larceny in the third degree is a "D" felony.
- Grand Larceny in the Second Degree: Value of property over $50,000.00 this is a "C" felony.
- Grand Larceny in the First Degree: Value of property over one million dollars. This is a "B" felony.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation
If you or a loved one is charged with any of these crimes, our Westchester County larceny attorneys are here to protect your rights and help you through this difficult time.
Contact us online to speak with one of our experienced criminal defense lawyers.
Why Hire Our Firm?Aggressive & Successful Defense
Selection for Super Lawyers® (top 5% of New York attorneys)
Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for Family Law and Criminal Defense
Published Legal Authors
Co-Authored National Bestsellers on DWI & Criminal Defense
Experience & Perspective
65+ years of combined experience, including criminal prosecution