Westchester County Burglary Lawyer
What Are the Different Degrees of Burglary in New York?
In New York, all Burglary crimes are felonies and as such carry a potential state prison sentence. Since the essence of a Burglary charge is “the unlawful entry of a building” the District Attorney’s Office takes these types of crimes very seriously and that is why you need a criminal defense attorney to seriously defend your case.
- Burglary in the Third Degree – A person must knowingly enter or remain unlawfully in a building with the intent to commit a crime therein. A class “D” felony.
- Burglary in the Second Degree – Includes the elements of burglary in the third degree, involves an explosive or deadly weapon, causes physical injury to another person, displays a dangerous instrument or displays a firearm. A class “C” felony.
- Burglary in the First Degree – Includes burglary in the second degree but the burglary occurs in a dwelling. A dwelling which is usually occupied by a person lodging therein at night. A class “B” Felony.
We always provide honest and straightforward assessments of your case and if you allow us we can speak with family members as well. Our goal is to keep you informed and protect you during every stage of the criminal defense process. Schedule your free case evaluation when you are ready to share your case with our team.
Have you been charged with Burglary in Westchester County, Orange, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess County or in New York City? If so, you must hire a Westchester County criminal defense attorney at once. Contact us today!
Defending against Burglary Charges in White Plains
The burglary defense is very case and fact specific but in general the prosecution must prove the accused “knowingly” enters or remains unlawfully with the “intent” to commit a crime therein. These can be difficult elements for the prosecution to prove and the top criminal defense attorneys at our office will review your facts to determine the most aggressive legal strategy and the weaknesses in the prosecution's case.
The sooner our attorneys are involved with your case, the more we can do to protect your rights. This includes:
- Emergency bail applications
- Interviews at our office or at the local jail
- Review of police evidence
- Investigation of any violation of your Constitutional Rights
- Meetings with the District Attorney and the Court
At Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP. our attorneys are experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorneys and we are prepared to protect your rights. With offices in White Plains and Peekskill, we appear in all the courts of Westchester County and the surrounding counties.
If you or a loved one is charged with Burglary, we are here to protect your rights and help you through this difficult time. Contact us online to speak with one of our Westchester County criminal defense lawyers.