Yonkers DWI Defense Lawyers
Experienced Defense from Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP
The DWI defense attorneys of Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP are a local neighbor firm that provides DWI and criminal clients with the individualized service and personal attention they deserve. We understand that each DWI case is unique and each client has individual needs that must be addressed in order to defend their case.
With more than 65 years of combined criminal and DWI defense experience, Andrew Proto and David Sachs have been helping clients charged with DWI defend their rights and protect their interest in the Yonkers Criminal Court. In fact, we have even authored a National Bestselling book on the subject!
When faced with the considerable challenges of being charged with DWI in Yonkers, NY and the potential penalties that those criminal charges carry, you need an attorney who will aggressively advocate for the protection of your rights and who will be compassionate towards your situation. This is exactly what the DWI defense attorneys of Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP provide.
All initial consultations are free and flexible appointments are available.
Contact us today!
DWI Laws, Procedures & Penalties
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal in all 50 states. Laws and penalties vary from state to state. In New York, DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) is an alcohol related criminal offense and DWAI Drugs (Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs) is a drug related offense.
When stopped by the police, a person suspected of operating a motor vehicle impaired may initially be subjected to a field sobriety test (FST). These are a series of quick tests for the driver which is used preliminarily to determine whether or not they are intoxicated.
The police officer may ask the individual to follow a pen with their eyes, recite the alphabet, tip their head back and touch their nose, or walk in a straight line heal to toe. These tasks are difficult to perform for an individual who is intoxicated or impaired.
Understanding Breathalyzer Tests
If the police officer suspects a person is intoxicated after performing a field sobriety test he may subject the driver to a Breathalyzer test on the scene or he may escort the individual to the police station for a blood or urine test to determine the percentage of alcohol in their system. In New York any person over the age of 21 with a Blood Alcohol Concentration of .08% or higher may be charged with DWI. For drivers under 21 years of age, New York has adopted a zero tolerance policy which prohibits such drivers from having any amount of alcohol in their system.
The consequences of drunk driving in Yonkers, NY are quite severe and can include jail, probation, fines and surcharges, a license suspension/revocation, an interlock ignition device (IID), drug or alcohol treatment, and the completion of programs with DMV.
Hiring an Experienced Yonkers DWI Defense Lawyer Matters
Since the penalties for DWI in New York are so severe and may vary depending on a number of factors, it's important to have a proven DWI lawyer in Yonkers to explain these variations, which include:
- Harsher punishments for those arrested with BAC limits over .08
- Special laws for underage drivers arrested for DWI
- Possible plea bargain offers
- Overlapping jurisdiction of Courts and your state's department of motor vehicles to suspend or revoke your license
- Hardship licenses and conditional license programs that allow you to use your vehicle to get to and from work/school
- Penalties if there is an accident involved
- Harsher punishments if there are children in the car at the time of the arrest (New York's Leandra's Law)
You need a Yonkers DWI lawyer if:
- This is your first DWI arrest in Yonkers, NY.
- You have been arrested for misdemeanor or felony DWI or DWAI Drugs.
- You've been arrested for a second DWI (in New York or another state).
- You were arrested in Yonkers with a BAC limit more than twice the legal limit (Aggravated DWI) as harsher penalties may apply.
- Your Yonkers DWI arrest was the result of an accident where there was property damage or if an injury or death occurred.
- You are a professional driver whose livelihood depends on keeping your license.
- You are in a profession (or plan to be) that requires bonding/licensing in which any criminal conviction might prevent you from getting or keeping a professional license.
Contact Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP and have an experienced and proven Yonkers DWI defense attorney protect your rights. Call us at (914) 840-5104 for a free consultation.