Stepparent Adoption in New York State
Experienced White Plains Adoption Attorneys
Stepparent adoptions are one of the most common forms of adoption and usually occurs after a divorce and remarriage when the child or children lives with the parent and stepparent. It is considered to be the best and most secure way to legally reinforce a relationship between a parent, child and stepparent.
The benefits of a stepparent adoption include:
- The stepparents’ legal right to make decisions regarding the child’s education, health and any other special needs.
- The child can inherit from the stepparent
- The stepparent’s employment benefits automatically apply to the child
- The child can receive government benefits from the stepparent such as social security benefits
- The stepparent obtains domestic and international travel rights
- If the biological parent dies the child has a legal right to continue to reside with the stepparent as opposed to other biological distant relatives
- Reinforces everyone living together as a cohesive family unit
The Basics of a New York State Stepparent Adoption
- Both the biological parents must consent to the adoption or The New York State Family Court Orders that the consent of one parent is legally not required.
- The Child must consent to the adoption if they are over 14 years of age.
- A background check of the stepparent needs to be completed to check for disqualifying offenses. Usually the check is done through the New York State Department of Criminal Justice Services and the child abuse registry.
- A home study needs to be completed, usually conducted by a social worker to determine if the adoption would be in the child’s best interest.
- Proceedings have to be initiated in the New York Family Court to complete the adoption process.
Stepparent Adoption in the New York Family Court
Our office handles all steps to complete a stepparent adoption including explaining the process, speaking with the biological parents, drafting paperwork, attending all necessary court appearances including the adoption ceremony.
Our stepparent adoption attorneys are experienced in guiding parents through the process, completing all necessary steps advising our clients after the adoption is completed.
Call Today for a Free Initial Consultation
Contact one of our experienced stepparent adoption attorneys by calling (914) 946-4808 to set up a telephone conference or meeting. We understand the challenges you face at this important time and will be strong and capable allies to help achieve your goals and objectives as quickly as possible.
Our main office is conveniently located in downtown White Plains with additional offices in Peekskill, New York. Let our attorneys help you and your family.