Parental Custody and Visitation
Representation for Residents of Westchester County
Since child custody and visitation can often be the most emotionally contested issue in any Family Law matter, it is critically important that your lawyers have the proven experience and skill to assist you.
Our child custody and visitation attorneys have successfully litigated and negotiated on behalf of hundreds of clients to achieve their child custody and visitation goals. In order to reach your goals, we begin every case by speaking with you and find out about the issues you are facing regarding your custody matters.
The Family Law Lawyers at Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP strive to help clients understand how the law will apply and how the different types of custody may mean for you and your children. We offer free consultations at our law offices in White Plains, , and Peekskill.
The Types of Child Custody and Visitation
- Joint child custody or Joint Legal Custody
- Physical child custody (residential custodian)
- Sole child custody or Sole Legal Custody
- Split child custody (50–50)
- Non–custodial child visitation (supervised or unsupervised), often called Parental Access
Our Westchester County divorce lawyers will explain each type of custody and visitation arrangement in such a way that you have a clear understanding and can make informed decisions.
Child Custody Laws and Rights in New York
Parents have legal rights regarding their children and the law protects those rights. As experienced and dedicated family law attorneys, we understand the different factors regarding child custody and will analyze your case to be sure those factors are properly presented to the court.
Important factors in Child Custody and Visitation Cases include:
- The effect of that separating siblings may have on the children;
- The wishes of the child, if the child is old enough;
- The length of time the present custody arrangement has continued;
- Abduction or abandonment of the child;
- The violation of an agreement or court order by one of the parents;
- The relative stability of the respective parents;
- The care and affection shown to the child by the parents;
- The atmosphere in the homes;
- The ability and availability of the parents;
- The morality of the parents;
- The prospective educational probabilities;
- The possible effect of a custodial change on the children;
- The financial standing of the parents;
- The parents' past conduct;
- The refusal of a parent to permit visitation and/or the willingness of a parent to encourage visitation;
- Domestic Violence;
- Unauthorized relocation of the parent and child to a distant domicile; and
- Making unfounded accusations of child abuse.
Often, it's how these different factors are intertwined that will determine how child custody will be awarded. Since New York Family Courts must weigh and balance these factors in determining the "totality of the circumstances" before making any custody decision it's crucial that your Family Law Lawyer know how to present your case so that a number of factors are highlighted.
With over 65 years of combined courtroom and family law experience, the attorneys at Proto, Sachs & Brown, LLP are specially equipped to assess your child custody case and guide you towards obtaining a positive resolution to your matter.
Schedule your Free Initial Consultation
If you are a parent seeking custody or visitation with your child you should consult with an experienced New York custody and visitation lawyer. We are here to protect your rights.
Contact us online or by telephone at (914) 840-5104 to speak with an experienced custody and visitation attorney.
Why Hire Our Firm?Aggressive & Successful Defense
Selection for Super Lawyers® (top 5% of New York attorneys)
Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for Family Law and Criminal Defense
Published Legal Authors
Co-Authored National Bestsellers on DWI & Criminal Defense
Experience & Perspective
65+ years of combined experience, including criminal prosecution